Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Butterfly Fancies


At the very start of my journey into cupcakes, I made some gorgeous royal icing butterfly decorations. They remain my favourite decoration in terms of impact - they just look gorgeous. They take a bit of time to do but they're well worth the effort.




I did a stand for Valerie's 60th birthday (a garden party) which featured 3 types of vanilla cupcakes. The first were covered with a whipped buttercream icing in two tones - lilac and mint and decorated with silver cachous.




It was my first attempt at doing two-toned icing and I was really happy with the result (given I was slightly afraid it may just turn out looking like playdough does when you mix two colours together... murky brown). I'm certainly keen to try the two-toned icing again given how striking it looked.



The second type were covered with a whipped buttercream icing in mint and decorated with tiny lilac royal icing spots and a hand-made daisy.




The third type, my favourite, were covered with a whipped buttercream icing in mint and decorated with a lilac butterfly. I did 3 types of butterflies, my favourite of which had pale wings with darker lilac "spots". The end result was fabulous, if I do say so myself!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment