Thursday, August 13, 2009

Ahoy There!


Sometimes when I think about a theme, I have these grand visions in my head of what I'd like the cakes to look like. It should be said though that I am possibly the least crafty person I know - I can't sew, knit, draw, paint or do anything that involves taking a vision in your head and somehow representing it on paper. I do okay with play-dough though, so that must be why I manage okay with cakes.


Last year my gorgeous best friend, Sarah, organised an absolutely sensational surprise 60th birthday party for her very lovely Dad. Her Dad is a sailing man and so the party's theme was a nautical one (which, I might add, was such a sensational theme - everything for the party just looked terrific!). Sarah, and her sister Kate, did a fabulous job with the party organising - their Dad was completely surprised and I'm sure they will all treasure that evening always.

Sarah asked me to do some cakes for him and I had a few ideas in my head and I really had to tinker around a little to make the end product match the vision in my mind. Of course, it didn't help that once I'd mucked around night after night to finally find something I was happy with, my darling eldest Son woke up early one morning and decided he'd break all of the decorations into pieces!!! (The first one was an accident and I think the rest followed because he figured if he was going to get into trouble he may as well do a good job of committing the crime.)


Despite the sabotage, I was really happy with how the stand turned out - in fact, the decorations were probably better the second time around. I did 60 vanilla cupcakes which were all iced with a whipped white buttercream frosting. I then decorated each cupcake with either a fondant life preserver, sailboat or anchor. The decorations were fiddly, but really effective. If either of my boys turn out to be rowers, I'll be set for cake ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment