Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Red Hat Ladies


Last July I created a stand for the Ascot chapter of The Red Hat Ladies (hence the garish red & purple colourings). This was my first go at embossing icing and I was surprised at how fabulous it looks, considering how relatively simple it is to do.

I had two cake varieties. The first was a chocolate mud cupcake, filled with a chocolate peppermint ganache, iced with a red embossed fondant icing and decorated with purple & red primroses. The second was a vanilla cupcake with whipped white buttercream frosting, purple buttercream swirls and a royal icing decoration (either a red hat or red tiara).

The top of the stand featured a buttercake fondant iced small cutting cake, decorated with red roses. At the time, it was the most number of cakes I'd made at any one time, so it took a little while to get my head around how to get them all baked and iced within 24 hours to maintain their freshness. I don't think any of the Red Hat Ladies would have minded if they were a day older though - they were devoured by the end of the lunch to the very last crumb.

No comments:

Post a Comment