Thursday, August 13, 2009

Pink Breakfast CupCakes


My Sister-in-Law, Kathy, organises a Pink Breakfast every October to raise money for breast cancer research. It's a fun morning and Kath, together with her friend Lurelle, put in an enormous amount of work both on the day and in the months beforehand. Given my brother, my neice and my nephew all have their birthdays in the four weeks surrounding the breakfast, I think Kath does an amazing job in pulling it all together each year.

Each year I've tried to support their efforts by either donating a prize or in providing cupcakes. Last year's cupcakes were sensational. As I have two lovely little boys, pink is not a colour we see a lot of in our house. For that reason, I absolutely love doing cakes for a theme that involves pretty pastels. Pale pink flowers and hearts just don't work for boys' parties!


I created two varieties of cupcakes for last year's Pink Breakfast stand. Both were vanilla cakes and the first was iced with embossed white fondant icing and a pink moulded blossom. The second was iced with embossed pink fondant icing, a small swirl of whipped white buttercream frosting and a royal icing dotty heart.
The night before the breakfast I did a head count and realised I hadn't made enough, so I also threw together some last minute "Iced Vovo's" - a vanilla cupcake with rose cream filling, whipped white buttercream frosting coated in pink & white coconut.


The stand looked fabulous, decorated in a shabby chic rose patterned paper. There wasn't a crumb to be found on the stand once everyone had left, which is the greatest compliment I could have been given.

No comments:

Post a Comment