Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Di & Jonny's Wedding


My gorgeous friend, and very own lovely bridesmaid, Diana was married in August 2008. She asked me to do her wedding cake and I jumped at the chance (and then tried to think of as many ways as possible that I could get out of it once I realised that if I stuffed it up, it was her WEDDING cake I'd ruined!).


Di & Jonny wanted a mud-cake topper, which we iced with white fondant and decorated with a gorgeous big black silk flower. The stand was covered in an absolutely gorgeous black & white flocked paper (sourced from my lovely friends at http://www.amazingpaper.com.au/). We then covered the three bottom tiers of the stand with buttercake cupcakes in white papers which were filled with a rose cream centre. They were each then iced with an embossed fondant icing in either black or white and then decorated with either a black or white moulded blossom.


The blossoms had all been made in the week preceeding the wedding and I transported them up to the Coast in tissue paper. The cakes I made the day before and then filled and iced them on the day. Di & Jonny's wedding was a little stressful, so I was kind of sitting in the middle her apartment amongst the stress with icing absolutely everywhere. To add to the situation, I was also buckling under the pressure of being Di & Jonny's emcee that evening, a job which I would have gladly sold by soul to escape. It's a miracle any of the cakes made it downstairs to the reception in one piece really.

All the stress aside, that stand is probably my favourite ever - it was so elegant and looked perfect when it was all set up and finished. The time spent in making all of those flowers was well and truly worth it and I'm delighted that, in the end, I gave Di & Jonny exactly what they wanted for their wedding cake. They are two of the most lovely people I know and I'm so honoured to have shared in their wedding.


A big thankyou to Renee Caldwell - http://www.reneecaldwell.com.au/ for the beautiful photos from the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment